The Election Commission of India, on Thursday, June 15, 2022, published a notification in the Gazette of India, keeping the 2022 Presidential Elections in mind. As per reports the commission announced the schedule for the upcoming elections and informed the following:
- Last date for making nominations – June 29
- Scrutiny of nominations – June 30
- Last date for the withdrawal of candidatures – July 2
- Polls – July 18
Besides this the Secretary-General of Rajya Sabha, PC Mody, has been appointed as the Returning officer for the Presidential Election, 2022. Another notification regarding the same was issued on June 13, 2022, which also added that the Commission has appointed two Assistant Returning Officers – Mukul Pandey – Officer on Special Duty (OSD) and Surendra Kumar Tripathi – Joint Secretary and Chief Vigilance Officer of the Rajya Sabha Secretariat.
The Returning Officer has by a Public Notice released on June 15, 2022, notified the following:
- Nomination papers may be delivered by a candidate or any of his proposers or seconders to the undersigned at his office in Room No 29, Ground Floor, Parliament House, New Delhi, or if he is unavoidably absent, to the Assistant Returning Officers, Shri Mukul Pandey, officer on Special Duty (OSD)/Shri Surendra Kumar Tripathi, Joint Secretary and Chief Vigilance Officer, Rajya Sabha Secretariat, at the said office between 11 A.M. and 3 P.M. on any day (other than a public holiday) but not later than the 29th of June, 2022;
- Each nomination paper shall be accompanied by a certified copy of the entry relating to the candidate in the electoral roll for the Parliamentary constituency in which the candidate is registered as an elector;
- Every candidate shall deposit or cause to be deposited a sum of Rupees Fifteen Thousand only. This amount may be deposited in cash with the Returning Officer at the time of presentation of the nomination paper or deposited earlier in the Reserve Bank of India or in a Government Treasury and in the latter case a receipt showing that the said deposit of the sum has been so made is required to be enclosed with the nomination paper;
- Forms of nomination papers may be obtained from the above said office at the time aforesaid;
- The nominations paper, other than those rejected under sub-section (4) of section 5B of the Act, will be taken up for scrutiny at Committee Room No. 62, First Floor, Parliament House, new Delhi on Thursday, the 30th of June, 2022 at 11 A.M.;
- The notice of withdrawal of candidatures may be delivered by a candidate, or any one of his proposers or seconders who has been authorized in this behalf in writing by the candidate, to the undersigned at the place specified in paragraph (i) above before three o’clock in the afternoon of the 2nd July, 2022;
- In the event of the election being contested, the poll will be taken on Monday, the 18th of July, 2022 between the hours of 10 A.M. and 5 P.M. at the places of polling fixed under the rules.
Simultaneous publication of these notifications and the Public Notice issued by the Returning Officer in all the States/Union Territories Gazettes shall also be made. Officials can contact PC Mody and the Returning Officers to know more about the election process. These authorities will be available at their office located at the Parliament House in New Delhi.