After a hiatus of nearly two years, Mumbaikars are geared to celebrate the festival of colours, Holi while adhering to the guidelines issued by the Maharashtra government. While people are looking forward to celebrating the festival, the toll on one’s skin must also be kept in mind.
Since Holi is celebrated by applying colours, an excess application could result in skin damage. This causes it to become flaky and dry. It is important to prepare your skin before you play Holi. What’s also important is an emphasis on post-Holi skincare.
We have got you covered with this just. With these handy remedies by Dr Yuti Nakhwa, Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist, Global Hospital, Parel, Mumbai you have your skincare saviour with you.
Pre Holi-Celebration Skincare
- Use organic colours to play as synthetic colours available in the market at cheaper prices can cause more damage like skin irritation.
- Use a good thick layer of moisturizer on your face which can double up as a barrier cream or use baby oil on the face.
- Don’t forget to use a sunscreen
- Apply coconut oil over your hair. This will protect your hair from the colours and also the colour comes out easily after a wash
Post Holi skincare
- Use micellar water and clean your face, this helps to clear the colour faster and easily without damaging the skin
- Use a gentle cleaner after
- Don’t forget to moisturize skin
- Use a gentle shampoo and clean your scalp. You can shampoo twice to take off the oil and the colours
- Use a conditioner on the hair thereafter
On the other hand, Dr. Mrinmayee Mukund, Dermotologist, Apollo Spectra Mumbai uttered, “Holi colors have heavy metals, broken pieces of glasses, chemicals, and pesticides in them. A majority of people complain of bacterial skin infections, skin allergies or contact dermatitis, rashes, itching, burning sensation, and hives after playing with Holi colors. The Holi colors are made up of hazardous chemicals like mercury, asbestos, silica, mica, and lead which are toxic to the human skin. Many people are not aware of the hazards of these colors and tend to take things lightly”.
Don’t let your skin woes dampen your celebration. With the right tips, you can enjoy the festival while also emphasizing your skincare.