Central Railways (CR) will commence a dedicated Thane-Diva 5th and 6th lines for AC local trains after the Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off additional suburban services from Thane and Diva on February 18, 2022 through video conferencing.
Here’s all you need to know about the new route:
* Kalyan is the main junction of Central Railway. The traffic coming from North side & Southern side of the country merge at Kalyan and moves towards CSMT (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus)
* Prior to 2008 it had 4 tracks — 2 tracks were used for slow local trains and 2 for fast local, Mail Express and Goods.
* To segregate suburban and long distance trains, 2 additional tracks were planned between Kalyan and CSMT in stages.
* Work of 2 additional lines completed between Kalyan and Diva in 2007-08 and Thane – Kurla connecting Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT) and Kurla Yard in 2011-12 on either side of Diva and Thane.
* Two track – each of 9.44 Km between Diva and Thane was missing link creating bottle neck and leading to capacity constraint.
* Now entire portion from Kurla/Lokmanya Tilak Terminus(LTT) to Kalyan(36 Km) has six lines with separate corridor for Suburban(2 slow local, 2 fast local) & long distance trains (2 lines), specially for trains originating/terminating from/to LTT.
* Sanctioned in 2008-09 under MUTP II, with equal cost sharing between Ministry of Railways and the Government of Maharashtra. The project has been executed by Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation (MRVC) under Ministry of Railways.
* Electrified Double line of length 9.44 km each.
* Cost Approx. INR 620 Crores
* Passing through Thane, Kalva, Mumbra and Diva stations.
* 6 platforms and 8 Foot Over Bridges and extension of FOBs added.
* 1.4 km long rail flyover, 3 major bridges, 21 minor bridges.
* 170 m long tunnel.
* Segregation of long distance trains path from Kurla to Kalyan .The long distance trains originating from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (near Kurla) can go upto Kalyan on 5th and 6th line without interfering with suburban traffic. This will lead to better train operations.
* 36 additional suburban services will be introduced between CSMT and Kalyan and beyond (34 AC and 2 non AC).
* Kalva, Mumbra passengers will benefit greatly during corridor mega blocks as suburban trains will cater to the passengers in one corridor.
* 5th and 6th lines between Kurla/Lokmanya Tilak Terminus and Kalyan pass through Thane, which was the first terminating station when the firsttrain in India, ran on 16th April, 1853 from Boribunder (present day CSMT) to Thane.
Challenges during the project:
* Mix of Brown field and green field project involved major changes in existing network also, major traffic blocks in weekends, with minimum inconvenience to passengers.
Besides, Ashwini Vaishnaw, Minister of Railways, Communications, Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India, Raosaheb Dadarao Patil Danve, Minister of State for Railways, Coal and Mines, Government of India, Kapil Patil, Minister of Panchayati Raj, Ajit Pawar, Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis, Leader of the Opposition, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly, Eknath Shinde, Minister of Urban Development, Public Works (Public Undertakings), Government of Maharashtra and Guardian Minister Thane District, Dr. Jitendra Awhad, Minister for Housing, Government of Maharashtra, Naresh Mhaske, Mayor, Thane, Rajan Vichare, Dr. Shrikant Shinde, Members of Parliament (Lok Sabha), Kumar Ketkar, Dr. Vinay Sahasrabudhhe Members of Parliament (Rajya Sabha), Pramod (Raju) Patil, Sanjay Kelkar, MLAs and others will be present at Thane on the occasion.